He was previously the representative for Illinois’s 19th congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for Illinois’s 20th congressional district as a Republican from 1997 to 2002.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Shimkus.
Shimkus is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Shimkus has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Shimkus sits on the following committees:
Shimkus was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2576 (114th): Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act
- H.R. 3262 (114th): To provide for the conveyance of land of the Illiana Health Care System of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Danville, Illinois.
- H.R. 2426 (114th): To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to easing regulatory burden with respect to certain class I and class II devices.
- H.R. 1407 (113th): Animal Drug User Fee Amendments of 2013
- H.R. 2629 (112th): Next Generation 9-1-1 Advancement Act of 2011
- H.R. 1287 (109th): Designating the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 312 East North Avenue in Flora, Illinois, as the “Robert T. Ferguson Post Office Building.”
- H.R. 389 (108th): Automatic Defibrillation in Adam’s Memory Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Shimkus sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Shimkus’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6294: REVAMP Act
- H.R. 5804: Post-Surgical Injections as an Opioid Alternative Act
- H.R. 4842: Streamlining Permitting to Enable Efficient Deployment of Broadband Infrastructure Act of 2018
- H.R. 3935: BOOST Primary Care Act
- H.R. 3053: Nuclear Waste Policy Amendments Act of 2018
- H.R. 1639: Physical Therapist Workforce and Patient Access Act of 2017
- H.R. 3262 (114th): To provide for the conveyance of land of the Illiana Health Care ...
|Shimkus’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5895: Energy and Water, Legislative Branch, and Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Act, 2019
Sep 13, 2018. Passed 377/20.
H.R. 5895 provides funding for national defense nuclear weapons activities, the Army Corps of Engineers, various programs under the Department of Energy, the Legislative Branch, the Department of Veterans Affairs, military construction and family housing for the Department of Defense, and other related agencies. This ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
From Jan 1997 to Sep 2018, Shimkus missed 393 of 14,607 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: