Stanton was the representative for Ohio’s 11th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1965 to 1982.
Stanton is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stanton sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 1977 to Dec 21, 1982. See full analysis methodology.
Stanton was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2148 (96th): A bill for the relief of Colonel (Doctor) Paul A. Kelly.
- H.R. 5227 (94th): A bill for the relief of Frank M. Russell.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stanton sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (22%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Private Legislation (19%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Housing and Community Development (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%) Transportation and Public Works (5%) Immigration (5%)
Some of Stanton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6720 (97th): Bank Holding Company Deregulation Act of 1982
- H.R. 6067 (97th): A bill for the relief of Anja Maratta Jallow.
- H.R. 6020 (97th): Housing and Community Development Amendments of 1982
- H.R. 4907 (97th): A bill for the relief of John B Stiltner.
- H.R. 4724 (97th): Thrift Institutions Restructuring Act of 1981
- H.R. 3552 (97th): A bill to amend Title V of the Housing Act of 1949.
- H.R. 3350 (97th): National Consumer Cooperative Bank Liquidation Act
From Jan 1965 to Dec 1982, Stanton missed 638 of 7,943 roll call votes, which is 8.0%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills