Our unique analysis of the bills Sullivan sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Sullivan is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Sullivan was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 366 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as the “Ernest Childers Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic”.
- H.R. 2018 (109th): Partners for Fish and Wildlife Act
- H.R. 4851 (107th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6910 South Yorktown Avenue in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as the “Robert Wayne Jenkins Station”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sullivan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Health (20%) Science, Technology, Communications (14%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Energy (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (6%)
Some of Sullivan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6550 (112th): To establish an advisory committee on national security telecommunications.
- H.R. 6552 (112th): To continue an advisory committee considering the optimal security, reliability, and interoperability ...
- H.R. 6551 (112th): To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to ensure that security is ...
- H.R. 6553 (112th): To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to add an additional purpose ...
- H.R. 5911 (112th): Lead Exposure Reduction Amendments Act of 2012
- H.R. 4825 (112th): Congressional Accountability in Budgeting and Spending Act
- H.R. 4033 (112th): Giving Local Communities a Voice in Tribal Gaming Act
|Sullivan’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 17, 2010. Passed 277/148.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
S. 352 (111th): DTV Delay Act
Feb 4, 2009. Passed 264/158.
The DTV (an abbreviation of digital television, also called digital broadcast) transition in the United States was the switchover from analog (the traditional method of transmitting television signals) to exclusively digital broadcasting of free over-the-air television programming. According to by David Rehr, then president and ...
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
H.Res. 1284 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the House amendments to the Senate amendment to the ...
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 342/83.
H.R. 3355 (110th): Homeowners’ Defense Act of 2007
Nov 8, 2007. Passed 258/155.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Feb 2002 to Jan 2013, Sullivan missed 731 of 8,015 roll call votes, which is 9.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 20 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: