Sununu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2008 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sununu sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 11, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Sununu was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2478 (110th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 59 Colby Corner in East Hampstead, New Hampshire, as the “Captain Jonathan D. …
- S. 1896 (110th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 11 Central Street in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, as the “Officer Jeremy Todd Charron …
- S. 4001 (109th): New England Wilderness Act of 2006
- S. 2271 (109th): USA PATRIOT Act Additional Reauthorizing Amendments Act of 2006
- S. 2167 (109th): PATRIOT Act Extension bill
- S. 1047 (109th): Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005
- S. 1692 (108th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 38 Spring Street in Nashua, New Hampshire, as the “Hugh Gregg Post Office …
Does 9 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sununu sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Law (18%) Commerce (12%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Social Welfare (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Sununu recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 3394 (110th): A bill to prevent the undermining of the judgments of courts of …
- S. 2478 (110th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service …
- S.Res. 353 (110th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding the importance of …
- S. 2128 (110th): Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act of 2007
- S.Res. 304 (110th): A resolution congratulating Charles Simic on being named the 15th Poet Laureate …
- S. 1915 (110th): Electronic Prescription Drug Act of 2007
- S. 1896 (110th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2008, Sununu missed 58 of 1,977 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: