2015 Report CardRead our 2015 Report Card for Thune »
Our unique analysis of the bills Thune has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Thune is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Thune sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
Thune sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (25%) Health (20%) Transportation and Public Works (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Environmental Protection (8%) Economics and Public Finance (5%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%)
Some of Thune’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2871: Veterans Choice Program Resolution Act
- S. 2899: Zika Response and Regulatory Relief Act
- S.Res. 445: A resolution recognizing the 100th anniversary of Coast Guard aviation and the contribution ...
- S. 2851: Veterans’ Disability Compensation Automatic COLA Act
- S. 2750: Charities Helping Americans Regularly Throughout the Year Act
- S. 2736: Patient Access to Durable Medical Equipment Act of 2016
- S. 2698: Preserving Consumer Health Accounts Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2005 to May 2016, Thune missed 44 of 3,565 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: