Read our 2017 Report Card for Thune.
Thune is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Thune has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Thune sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Health Care
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
Thune was the primary sponsor of 26 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1532: No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
- S. 1426: United States Center for Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017
- S. 570: Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2017
- S. 3395 (114th): Prescribed Burn Approval Act of 2016
- S. 3304 (114th): No Veterans Crisis Line Call Should Go Unanswered Act
- S. 2650 (114th): United States Appreciation for Olympians and Paralympians Act
- S. 808 (114th): Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thune sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (23%) Transportation and Public Works (19%) Health (18%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Agriculture and Food (7%) Environmental Protection (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%)
Some of Thune’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2614: A bill to amend the Food Security Act of 1985 to improve the ...
- S. 2410: Chronic Disease Management Act of 2018
- S.Res. 395: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that ambush marketing adversely affects ...
- S. 2316: Native American Livestock Assistance Act of 2018
- S. 2297: Custer County Airport Conveyance Act
- S. 2200: National Integrated Drought Information System Reauthorization Act of 2018
- S. 2202: National Transportation Safety Board Reauthorization Act
|Thune’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
On the Nomination PN64: Alissa M. Starzak, of New York, to be General Counsel of the Department of the Army
Dec 14, 2015. Nomination Confirmed 45/34.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 30, 2015. Motion Agreed to 64/35.
This vote was on the bill in its final form as the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 325 (113th): No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013
Jan 31, 2013. Bill Passed 64/34.
S. 3240 (112th): Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2012
Jun 21, 2012. Bill Passed 64/35.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 627 (111th): Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009
May 19, 2009. Bill Passed 90/5.
The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, or Credit CARD Act of 2009, is a federal statute passed by the United States Congress and signed by President Barack Obama on May 22, 2009. It is comprehensive credit card reform legislation that aims ...
From Jan 2005 to Mar 2018, Thune missed 45 of 4,031 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: