Sen. John Thune
Senator from South Dakota
|Dates||Title||State / District|
|Representative||South Dakota's At-Large District|
2014 Report CardRead our 2014 Report Card for Thune »
Our unique analysis of the bills Thune has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Thune is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Thune sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
Some of Thune’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 584: A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide ...
- S. 545: Pay Our Coast Guard Act
- S. 489: Low Value Shipment Regulatory Modernization Act of 2015
- S. 470: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exempt certain ...
- S. 431: Internet Tax Freedom Forever Act
- S. 386: Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Simplification Act of 2015
- S. 304: Motor Vehicle Safety Whistleblower Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2005 to Mar 2015, Thune missed 41 of 3,207 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
Recent Legislative Activity
Joint Resolution Passed 53/46
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMar 4, 2015 11:38 a.m.
Motion to Proceed Agreed to 53/45
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMar 3, 2015 2:18 p.m.
Cloture Motion Rejected 47/43
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMar 2, 2015 5:30 p.m.