Unsoeld was the representative for Washington’s 3rd congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 1989 to 1994.
Unsoeld is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Unsoeld sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Unsoeld was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2343 (103rd): Forest Resources Conservation and Shortage Relief Amendments Act of 1993
- H.R. 5809 (102nd): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to construct and operate an interpretive center for the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge in Clark County, Washington.
- H.R. 5144 (101st): To establish the Vancouver National Historical Reserve in the State of Washington, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3787 (101st): Chehalis River Basin Fishery Resources Study and Restoration Act of 1990
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Unsoeld sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (24%) Environmental Protection (23%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Labor and Employment (10%) Taxation (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Education (5%)
Some of Unsoeld’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5241 (103rd): To amend section 9147 of Public Law 102-396.
- H.R. 4713 (103rd): Regional Fishery Management Councils Ethics Act of 1994
- H.R. 4607 (103rd): Vancouver National Heritage Area Partnership Act of 1994
- H.R. 4443 (103rd): To authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation ...
- H.R. 4270 (103rd): Education Begins With Families Act of 1994
- H.R. 4244 (103rd): Transportation Employee Equitable Treatment Act of 1994
- H.R. 3822 (103rd): United States Passenger Vessel Development Tax Act
From Jan 1989 to Nov 1994, Unsoeld missed 87 of 2,958 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is on par with the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1994. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills