Porter, a Republican, was the representative for Nevada’s 3rd congressional district from 2003 to 2008.
Porter is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Porter sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Porter was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4057 (109th): To provide that attorneys employed by the Department of Justice shall be eligible for compensatory time off for travel under section 5550b of title 5, United States ...
- H.R. 2254 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1101 Colorado Street in Boulder City, Nevada, as the “Bruce Woodbury Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Porter sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Families (12%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Law (10%) Social Welfare (10%)
Some of Porter’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7104 (110th): National Commission on Financial Collapse and Recovery Act of 2008
- H.R. 6909 (110th): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to give priority to consideration ...
- H.Res. 1432 (110th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Adoption Day and National Adoption ...
- H.R. 6837 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 5601 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 5239 (110th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide that the ...
- H.R. 4018 (110th): Mesquite Lands Act of 2007
|Porter’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2008, Porter missed 42 of 4,311 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: