Tester is the senior senator from Montana and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Tester is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Tester.
Tester is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tester has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 6, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tester was the primary sponsor of 24 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 785: Commander John Scott Hannon Veterans Mental Health Care Improvement Act of 2019
- S. 3637: A bill to amend the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to extend lease protections for servicemembers under stop movement orders in response to a local, national, or global emergency, ...
- S. 711: CARE for Reservists Act of 2019
- S. 514: Deborah Sampson Act
- S. 3039: A bill to authorize the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to establish a grant program to conduct cemetery research and produce educational materials for the Veterans Legacy Program, and ...
- S. 2988 (116th): Veteran Pension Protection Act of 2019
- S. 2265: GI Bill Work Study Improvement Act of 2019
Does 24 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Tester sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Tester’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4926: Montana Headwaters Legacy Act
- S. 4913: Right Track Act
- S. 4910: GRACE for Homeless Veterans Act of 2020
- S. 4909 (116th): Native American Veteran PACT Act
- S. 4836: Public Lands Leadership Act of 2020
- S. 4594: Caring for the Survivors and Families of Veterans Act of 2020
- S. 4581: POST Act
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2021, Tester missed 51 of 4,318 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: