Tester is the senior senator from Montana and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Tester is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Tester.
Tester is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tester has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jon Tester sits on the following committees:
Tester was the primary sponsor of 29 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 682: SAVE LIVES Act
- S. 4910 (116th): GRACE for Homeless Veterans Act of 2020
- S. 785 (116th): Commander John Scott Hannon Veterans Mental Health Care Improvement Act of 2019
- S. 3637 (116th): A bill to amend the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to extend lease protections for servicemembers under stop movement orders in response to a local, national, or global ...
- S. 711 (116th): CARE for Reservists Act of 2019
- S. 514 (116th): Deborah Sampson Act
- S. 629 (116th): Accountability in Department of Veterans Affairs Scheduling and Consult Management Act
Does 29 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Tester sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Tester’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2131: A bill to require a review of the effects of FHA mortgage insurance ...
- S. 2036: A bill to amend the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921, to establish the ...
- S. 1901: A bill to amend the Act of June 18, 1934, to reaffirm the ...
- S. 1910: A bill to authorize major medical facility projects of the Department of Veterans ...
- S. 1909: A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to reform ...
- S. 1893: A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to support ...
- S. 1911: Gros Ventre and Assiniboine Tribes of the Fort Belknap Indian Community Water Rights ...
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2021, Tester missed 52 of 4,557 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: