Read our 2016 Report Card for Tester.
Our unique analysis of the bills Tester has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Tester is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jon Tester sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Tester was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 544: A bill to amend the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 to modify the termination date for the Veterans Choice Program, and for other purposes.
- S. 719 (114th): A bill to rename the Armed Forces Reserve Center in Great Falls, Montana, the Captain John E. Moran and Captain William Wylie Galt Armed Forces Reserve Center.
- S. 1580 (114th): Competitive Service Act of 2015
- S. 1125 (114th): Blackfeet Water Rights Settlement Act of 2015
- S. 1691 (113th): Border Patrol Agent Pay Reform Act of 2014
- S. 1276 (113th): Security Clearance Oversight and Reform Enhancement Act
- S. 2259 (112th): Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2012
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Tester sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (31%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Native Americans (17%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Education (8%) Health (7%) Transportation and Public Works (4%)
Some of Tester’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 833: Servicemembers and Veterans Empowerment and Support Act of 2017
- S.Res. 98: A resolution designating the first week of April 2017 as “National Asbestos Awareness ...
- S. 681: Deborah Sampson Act
- S. 688: A bill to suspend the importation of beef and poultry from Brazil.
- S. 621: Public Online Information Act of 2017
- S. 619: Physical Therapist Workforce and Patient Access Act of 2017
- S. 543: Performance Accountability and Contractor Transparency Act of 2017
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Tester’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
S. 754: Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act of 2015
Oct 27, 2015. Bill Passed 74/21.
After years of delay and false starts, Congress may finally be on the verge of passing a bill to address Internet data breaches and cybersecurity. The Senate is once again debating the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (S. 754), or CISA, and it appears to have ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 3080 (112th): United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Bill Passed 83/15.
H.R. 514 (112th): FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
Feb 15, 2011. Bill Passed 86/12.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
From Jan 2007 to Apr 2017, Tester missed 23 of 3,109 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: