Bingham is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bingham sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Bingham was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6031 (97th): A bill to amend section 3 of Public Law 92-592.
- H.R. 3567 (97th): Export Administration Amendments Act of 1981
- H.R. 3136 (97th): Overseas Private Investment Corporation Amendments Act of 1981
- H.R. 4687 (97th): A bill to revise the boundaries of the Saratoga National Historical Park in the State of New York, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5737 (96th): A bill to amend the International Claims Settlement Act of 1949 to allow recovery by United States nationals for losses incurred in Vietnam.
- H.R. 1888 (96th): A bill for the relief of Kenneth and Jacqueline Traylar.
- H.R. 5252 (96th): A bill to authorize operations by the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) in the People’s Republic of China.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bingham sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (24%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (18%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Health (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%) Energy (7%) Social Welfare (7%)
Some of Bingham’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7430 (97th): Nuclear Nonproliferation Policy Act of 1982
- H.J.Res. 628 (97th): A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United ...
- H.J.Res. 557 (97th): A joint resolution designating September 12, 1982 as “B’nai B’rith Day”.
- H.R. 6809 (97th): A bill for the relief of O. Edmund Clubb.
- H.R. 6405 (97th): A bill for the relief of Rose Goldberg.
- H.R. 6393 (97th): A bill to amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 to extend ...
- H.Con.Res. 340 (97th): A concurrent resolution reaffirming Senate Resolution S. 179 and House Resolution H. ...
From Jan 1965 to Dec 1982, Bingham missed 639 of 7,943 roll call votes, which is 8.0%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills