Ernst is the junior senator from Iowa and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 6, 2015. Ernst is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Ernst.
Ernst is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ernst has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joni Ernst sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Chair, Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy
- Member, Subcommittee on Livestock, Marketing, and Agriculture Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Agricultural Research, and Specialty Crops
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Member, Subcommittee on Clean Air and Nuclear Safety
- Member, Subcommittee on Superfund, Waste Management, and Regulatory Oversight
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Ernst was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 925: VETS Act of 2017
- S. 926: Global War on Terrorism War Memorial Act
- S.J.Res. 13: A joint resolution providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by the Secretary of Health and Human ...
- S. 1550 (114th): Program Management Improvement Accountability Act
- S. 2688 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 615 6th Avenue SE in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, as the “Sergeant First Class ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ernst sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Ernst’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3166: United States Army Rangers Veterans of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 3086: PRO Sports Act
- S. 2930: No Budget, No Vacation Act
- S. 2806: National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence Act of 2018
- S. 2645: Access to Increased Drug Disposal Act of 2018
- S. 2592: SWAMP Act
- S. 2581: Political Appointee Burrowing Prevention Act
|Ernst’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 123: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2018, and for other purposes.
Dec 7, 2017. Joint Resolution Passed 81/14.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
From Jan 2015 to Aug 2018, Ernst missed 1 of 1,009 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: