Read our 2016 Report Card for Serrano.
Our unique analysis of the bills Serrano has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Serrano is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
José Serrano sits on the following committees:
Serrano was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6282 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2024 Jerome Avenue, in Bronx, New York, as the “Dr. Roscoe C. Brown, Jr. Post ...
- H.R. 1350 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 442 East 167th Street in Bronx, New York, as the “Herman Badillo Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4938 (111th): To permit the use of previously appropriated funds to extend the Small Business Loan Guarantee Program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3170 (111th): Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, 2010
- H.R. 282 (105th): To designate the United States Post Office building located at 153 East 110th Street, New York, New York, as the “Oscar Garcia Rivera Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4312 (102nd): Voting Rights Language Assistance Act of 1992
- H.J.Res. 91 (102nd): Designating June 10 through 16, 1991, as “Pediatric AIDS Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Serrano sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (26%) International Affairs (18%) Agriculture and Food (15%) Immigration (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Housing and Community Development (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%)
Some of Serrano’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2576: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for the tax ...
- H.R. 2508: To provide discretionary authority to an immigration judge to determine that an alien ...
- H.R. 2343: United States Library Trust Fund Act
- H.R. 2253: Clean Vehicles Incentive Act of 2017
- H.R. 2064: Sewage Sludge in Food Production Consumer Notification Act
- H.R. 1714: Expanding Small Business Opportunities to all Women Act of 2017
- H.R. 1586: Protecting Our Kids’ Medicine Act of 2017
|Serrano’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5052: OPEN Act
May 10, 2016. Passed 410/1.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1765 (113th): Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013
Apr 26, 2013. Passed 361/41.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3325 (110th): Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008
Sep 28, 2008. Passed 381/41.
From Mar 1990 to May 2017, Serrano missed 636 of 17,651 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 14 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: