He was previously the representative for New York’s 7th congressional district as a Democrat from 1999 to 2012.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 2010 Crowley was investigated for soliciting campaign contributions from entities affected by legislation then under consideration in 2009. The House Committee on Ethics recommended no further action.
|Nov. 3, 2010||House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended that the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct further review the allegations|
|Jan. 26, 2011||House Committee on Ethics recommended no further action|
Read our 2017 Report Card for Crowley.
Crowley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Crowley has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joseph “Joe” Crowley sits on the following committees:
Crowley was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2607 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7802 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, New York, as the “Jeanne and Jules Manford Post ...
- H.R. 2527 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7802 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, New York, as the “Jeanne Sobelson Manford Post Office ...
- H.R. 3413 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1449 West Avenue in Bronx, New York, as the “Private Isaac T. Cortes Post Office”.
- H.R. 5901 (111th): Real Estate Jobs and Investment Act of 2010
- H.R. 5051 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 23 Genesee Street in Hornell, New York, as the “Zachary Smith Post Office Building”.
- H.J.Res. 83 (111th): Approving the renewal of import restrictions contained in the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act of 2003, and for other purposes.
- H.J.Res. 56 (111th): Approving the renewal of import restrictions contained in the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act of 2003, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Crowley sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (26%) Taxation (24%) Health (13%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Labor and Employment (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Commerce (4%) Government Operations and Politics (4%)
Some of Crowley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6002: School Overcrowding Reduction Act
- H.R. 5991: DATA Act
- H.R. 5818: Opioid Workforce Act of 2018
- H.R. 5781: Students LIVE Act of 2018
- H.Res. 878: Raising a question of the privileges of the House.
- H.R. 5691: Peaceful Learning Act of 2018
- H.Res. 856: Raising a question of the privileges of the House.
|Crowley’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2842: Accelerating Individuals into the Workforce Act
Jun 23, 2017. Passed 377/34.
H.R. 2842 connects low-income Americans looking for work with employers looking to fill job openings, including through apprenticeships and other forms of on-the-job training. Specifically, the legislation provides funding for states to subsidize employment for a limited time for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) ...
H.Res. 546: Providing for consideration of the conference report to accompany the bill (H.R. 22) to authorize funds for Federal-aid ...
Dec 3, 2015. Passed 384/40.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
From Jan 1999 to Jun 2018, Crowley missed 424 of 13,284 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: