Fisher was the representative for Virginia’s 10th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1975 to 1980.
Fisher is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fisher sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Fisher was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2170 (96th): A bill to provide for the reimbursement of legal expenses incurred by the City of Fairfax with respect to a 1971 entry and search by employees of ...
- H.R. 5745 (96th): A bill for the relief of Michael Chinwen Ke.
- H.R. 2318 (96th): A bill for the relief of Casimir Jan Kray.
- H.R. 2700 (95th): A bill to amend the Act of February 9, 1821, to restate the charter of the George Washington University.
- H.R. 13688 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect to influencing legislation by public charities.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fisher sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (31%) Private Legislation (26%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Social Welfare (8%) International Affairs (8%) Labor and Employment (6%) Housing and Community Development (4%) Transportation and Public Works (4%)
Some of Fisher’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8332 (96th): A bill for the relief of Chi K. Lee.
- H.R. 8231 (96th): National Payments in Lieu of Taxes Act of 1980
- H.R. 8160 (96th): A bill to amend the Safe Drinking Water Act to permit small ...
- H.R. 8152 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to encourage ...
- H.R. 8123 (96th): Small Business Investment Act of 1980
- H.R. 8092 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to repeal ...
- H.R. 8072 (96th): A bill for the relief of Dr. David Pass.
From Jan 1975 to Dec 1980, Fisher missed 77 of 4,089 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is better than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills