Gaydos, a Democrat, was the representative for Pennsylvania's 20th congressional district from 1967 to 1992.
Gaydos is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gaydos sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Gaydos was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4647 (97th): A bill to award special Congressional gold medals to Fred Waring, the widow of Joe Louis, and Louis L’Amour.
- H.R. 8161 (96th): An act to designate the United States Federal Building in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as the “William S. Moorhead Federal Building”.
- H.J.Res. 864 (95th): A resolution extending the deadline for the ratification of the equal rights amendment.
- H.R. 4287 (95th): Federal Mine Safety and Health Amendments Act
- H.R. 2836 (93rd): Employee Benefit Security Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gaydos sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (20%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Taxation (14%) Environmental Protection (14%) Education (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%)
Some of Gaydos’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 429 (102nd): Providing amounts from the contingent fund of the House for continuing expenses ...
- H.Res. 409 (102nd): Providing amounts from the contingent fund of the House for continuing expenses ...
- H.Res. 379 (102nd): Providing amounts from the contingent fund of the House for the expenses ...
- H.R. 3129 (102nd): To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to prohibit classifying certain ...
- H.R. 2136 (102nd): To amend the Small Business Act to make small business concerns owned ...
- H.R. 2098 (102nd): Nuclear Facilities Occupational Safety Improvement Act of 1991
- H.R. 1190 (102nd): High Risk Occupational Disease Notification and Prevention Act
From Jan 1969 to Oct 1992, Gaydos missed 919 of 11,642 roll call votes, which is 7.9%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills