Heck was the representative for Nevada’s 3rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Heck.
Heck is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Heck sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Heck was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3969 (114th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Laughlin, Nevada, as the “Master Chief Petty Officer Jesse Dean VA Clinic”.
- H.R. 468 (114th): Enhancing Services for Runaway and Homeless Victims of Youth Trafficking Act of 2015
- H.R. 697 (113th): Three Kids Mine Remediation and Reclamation Act
- H.R. 258 (113th): Stolen Valor Act of 2013
- H.R. 470 (112th): Hoover Power Allocation Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Heck sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (24%) Health (16%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Education (11%) Immigration (11%) Taxation (8%) Labor and Employment (8%) Housing and Community Development (8%)
Some of Heck’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6049 (114th): Protection from Insurance Exchange Monopolies Act
- H.R. 5528 (114th): Simplifying the Application for Student Aid Act
- H.R. 5529 (114th): Accessing Higher Education Opportunities Act
- H.R. 5295 (114th): Safeguarding Economic Needs Important to Our Retirees through Creating an Ongoing Living ...
- H.R. 5152 (114th): Career and Technical Education Equity Act
- H.R. 4670 (114th): Mojave National Preserve Boundary Adjustment Act of 2016
- H.R. 3969 (114th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Laughlin, ...
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2016, Heck missed 75 of 4,135 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: