Read our 2019 Report Card for Kennedy.
Kennedy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kennedy has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 11, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joseph Kennedy III sits on the following committees:
Kennedy was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3192: CHIP Mental Health Parity Act
- H.R. 1762: POWER Act
- H.R. 1652: Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act of 2017
- H.R. 5722 (114th): John F. Kennedy Centennial Commission Act
- H.R. 2939 (113th): To award the Congressional Gold Medal to Shimon Peres.
- H.R. 915 (113th): To authorize the Peace Corps Commemorative Foundation to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs, and for other purposes.
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kennedy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Kennedy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7780: To authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Director ...
- H.R. 7748: To ensure that after a declaration of a major disaster affected States, local ...
- H.R. 7723: Behavioral Health Coordination and Communication Act of 2020
- H.Res. 1057: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that in order to effectively ...
- H.R. 7686: COVID-19 Essential Workers Compensation Fund Act of 2020
- H.R. 7638: Restoring Worker Power Act of 2020
- H.R. 7539: Strengthening Behavioral Health Parity Act
From Jan 2013 to Jul 2020, Kennedy missed 215 of 4,618 roll call votes, which is 4.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: