Harder is the representative for California’s 10th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Harder is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Harder.
Harder is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Harder has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Josh Harder sits on the following committees:
Harder was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4356 (116th): Protecting Families of Fallen Servicemembers Act
- H.R. 3399 (116th): To amend the Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003 to include California in the program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 8041 (116th): Snow Water Supply Forecasting Program Authorization Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Harder sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (20%) Education (20%) Health (12%) Labor and Employment (12%) Taxation (12%) Water Resources Development (10%) Agriculture and Food (8%) Government Operations and Politics (5%)
Some of Harder’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4763: To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to carry out a program to award ...
- H.Res. 550: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding United States policy recognizing ...
- H.R. 4090: Making Education Affordable and Accessible Act
- H.R. 3765: Disability Employment Incentive Act
- H.R. 3663: Apprenticeships to College Act
- H.R. 3342: Youth Workforce Readiness Act of 2021
- H.R. 2781: Water Resources Research Amendments Act
From Jan 2019 to Jul 2021, Harder missed 13 of 1,197 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: