Vargas is the representative for California’s 51st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Vargas is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Vargas.
Vargas is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vargas has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 2, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Vargas sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (21%) Immigration (18%) Housing and Community Development (18%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Health (9%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Vargas’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1187: To provide for disclosure of additional material information about public companies and establish ...
- H.R. 782: Homeownership for DREAMers Act
- H.R. 618: Promoting Access to Credit for Homebuyers Act of 2021
- H.R. 491: California New River Restoration Act of 2021
- H.R. 7991 (116th): Border Water Quality Restoration and Protection Act of 2020
- H.R. 6858 (116th): COVID-19 Emergency Medical Supplies Enhancement Act of 2020
- H.R. 6794 (116th): Promoting Access to Credit for Homebuyers Act of 2020
From Jan 2013 to Mar 2021, Vargas missed 109 of 4,755 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: