Vargas is the representative for California’s 51st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Vargas is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021.
Make sure you are registered to vote and that you vote by mail, early, or know your polling location — see vote.org for help.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Vargas.
Vargas is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vargas has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 23, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Juan Vargas sits on the following committees:
Vargas sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (18%) Immigration (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Health (12%) Housing and Community Development (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Government Operations and Politics (6%)
Some of Vargas’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7991: Border Water Quality Restoration and Protection Act of 2020
- H.R. 6858: COVID-19 Emergency Medical Supplies Enhancement Act of 2020
- H.R. 6794: Promoting Access to Credit for Homebuyers Act of 2020
- H.R. 6373: To increase the amount available under the Defense Production Act of 1950 to ...
- H.R. 4548: Asthma Care and Prevention in Rural Communities Act of 2019
- H.R. 4329: ESG Disclosure Simplification Act of 2019
- H.R. 3895: North American Development Bank’s Pollution Solution Act
From Jan 2013 to Oct 2020, Vargas missed 107 of 4,658 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: