Read our 2020 Report Card for Brownley.
Brownley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Brownley has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 30, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Julia Brownley sits on the following committees:
Brownley was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3224 (116th): Deborah Sampson Act
- H.R. 4641 (115th): To authorize the President to award the Medal of Honor to John L. Canley for acts of valor during the Vietnam War while a member of the ...
- H.R. 6138 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 560 East Pleasant Valley Road, Port Hueneme, California, as the U.S. Naval Construction Battalion “Seabees” ...
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Brownley sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Brownley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4794: To improve mammography services furnished by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and for ...
- H.R. 4443: COMPOST Act
- H.R. 4444: Zero Food Waste Act
- H.R. 4218: Women Veteran Report Act
- H.R. 4170: Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act of 2021
- H.R. 3692: Marine Mammal Climate Change Protection Act
- H.R. 3693: VA CPE Modernization Act
From Jan 2013 to Jul 2021, Brownley missed 65 of 4,947 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: