Read our 2018 Report Card for Amash.
Amash is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Amash has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Amash was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 1850 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 907 Fourth Avenue in Lake Odessa, Michigan, as the “Donna Sauers Besko Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Amash sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (24%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (19%) Immigration (14%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Economics and Public Finance (10%)
Some of Amash’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4431: No Fly for Terrorists Act
- H.R. 3754: To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide for a new rule regarding ...
- H.R. 3402: Readable Legislation Act of 2019
- H.R. 3403: Searchable Legislation Act of 2019
- H.J.Res. 56: Directing the President to terminate the use of the United States Armed Forces ...
- H.R. 1942: Ending Mass Collection of Americans’ Phone Records Act
- H.R. 1910: Export-Import Bank Termination Act
From Jan 2011 to Oct 2019, Amash missed 1 of 5,915 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: