Harris is the junior senator from California and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Harris is next up for reelection in 2022.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Harris.
Harris is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Harris has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Kamala Harris sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on the Budget
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management
Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts
- Member, Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law
- Member, Subcommittee on the Constitution
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Harris sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Harris’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2849: A bill to prohibit the expansion of immigration detention facilities, to improve the ...
- S. 2829: A bill to amend the Federal Reserve Act to require Federal Reserve banks ...
- S. 2722: Environmental Justice Right to Know Act of 2018
- S.Res. 459: A resolution recognizing “Black Maternal Health Week” to bring national attention to the ...
- S. 2633: HEART Act of 2018
- S. 2467: A bill to direct the Joint Committee on the Library to obtain a ...
- S.Res. 409: A resolution honoring the dedication and courage of the Buffalo Soldiers.
|Harris’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1625: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018
Mar 23, 2018. Motion Agreed to 65/32.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the government spending bill for the remainder of fiscal year 2018. On March 22, 2018, the House replaced the text of the bill with the spending bill (preprint text). ---- This bill was formerly the TARGET Act. ...
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
S. 139: FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017
Jan 18, 2018. Motion Agreed to 65/34.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017. The bill would extend so-called "section 702" government surveillance under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The bill was originally introduced and passed the Senate in 2017 as the Rapid DNA ...
H.J.Res. 123: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2018, and for other purposes.
Dec 7, 2017. Joint Resolution Passed 81/14.
S. 89: A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels that only operate within inland waterways from the fire-retardant materials requirement if the ...
Apr 3, 2017. Bill Passed 85/12.
From Jan 2017 to May 2018, Harris missed 1 of 426 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: