English was the representative for Arizona’s 6th congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 1993 to 1994.
English is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills English sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1989 to Nov 29, 1994. See full analysis methodology.
English was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 5220 (103rd): To provide for the acceptance by the Secretary of Education of applications submitted by the local educational agency serving the Window Rock Unified School District, Window Rock, …
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
English sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Education (15%) Health (15%) Economics and Public Finance (15%)
Recently Introduced Bills
English recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 5220 (103rd): To provide for the acceptance by the Secretary of Education of applications …
- H.R. 5035 (103rd): Roosevelt Lake Recreation Area Fee Act
- H.R. 4870 (103rd): To amend the San Carlos Apache Tribe Water Rights Settlement Act of …
- H.R. 4697 (103rd): Walnut Canyon National Monument Boundary Modification Act of 1994
- H.R. 4698 (103rd): To terminate price support and marketing quotas for tobacco, disallow the income …
- H.Res. 451 (103rd): Official Travel Reform Resolution
- H.R. 4565 (103rd): Government Travel Cost Reduction Act
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1993 to Nov 1994, English missed 24 of 1,122 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is better than the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1994. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills