Bass is the representative for California’s 37th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2013. Bass is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
She was previously the representative for California’s 33rd congressional district as a Democrat from 2011 to 2012.
Bass is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bass has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bass was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1496 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 3585 South Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles, California, as the “Marvin Gaye Post Office”.
- H.R. 6472 (115th): Zimbabwe Democracy and Economic Recovery Amendment Act of 2018
- H.R. 4998 (115th): Health Insurance for Former Foster Youth Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bass sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Bass’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 323: To award a Congressional Gold Medal to Carrie Beatrice “Mudear” Sager, in recognition ...
- H.Res. 1225 (116th): Celebrating the National Urban League on its 110th year of service to ...
- H.Res. 1221: Urging the United States to uphold its commitments under international treaties related to ...
- H.Res. 1183 (116th): Supporting respect for human rights and encouraging continued democratic progress in Ethiopia, ...
- H.R. 8474: Community-Based Response Act
- H.R. 8352: To advance black families in the 21st Century.
- H.Res. 1120: Urging the Government of Tanzania and all parties to respect human rights and ...
From Jan 2011 to Jan 2021, Bass missed 548 of 6,317 roll call votes, which is 8.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: