Harris was the representative for Florida’s 13th congressional district and was a Republican. She served from 2003 to 2006.
Harris is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Harris sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2001 to Dec 8, 2006. See full analysis methodology.
Harris was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4847 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 560 Bay Isles Road in Longboat Key, Florida, as the “Lieutenant General James V. Edmundson ...
- H.R. 3068 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2055 Siesta Drive in Sarasota, Florida, as the “Brigadier General (AUS-Ret.) John H. McLain Post ...
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Harris sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Health (10%) Emergency Management (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Commerce (8%)
Some of Harris’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6286 (109th): Department of Homeland Security Stabilization and Security Enhancement Act of 2006
- H.R. 6185 (109th): Veterans Health Care Act of 2006
- H.Con.Res. 476 (109th): Supporting the observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5774 (109th): To require the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to publish a strategic plan ...
- H.R. 5759 (109th): FEMA Act
- H.Con.Res. 437 (109th): Expressing the sense of Congress that United States officials who leak sensitive ...
- H.R. 5649 (109th): Coastal Economic and Environmental Protection Act
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2006, Harris missed 154 of 2,435 roll call votes, which is 6.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: