Ellison was the representative for Minnesota’s 5th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2007 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Ellison.
Ellison is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ellison sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ellison was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4386 (113th): Money Remittances Improvement Act of 2014
- H.R. 2747 (110th): Methamphetamine Production Prevention Act of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ellison sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (19%) Finance and Financial Sector (19%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Labor and Employment (11%) Housing and Community Development (11%) Commerce (11%) Immigration (10%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Ellison’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7401 (115th): Strengthening Refugee Resettlement Act
- H.R. 6096: Reward Work Act
- H.R. 5632 (115th): End Employer Collusion Act
- H.R. 5609: Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity, and Reliability Act of 2018
- H.R. 5072: Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 2018
- H.R. 4686: 21st Century Competition Commission Act of 2017
- H.R. 4538: Merger Retrospective Act of 2017
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2018, Ellison missed 661 of 8,876 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: