Our unique analysis of the bills Bentsen sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bentsen is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Bentsen was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4717 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1199 Pasadena Boulevard in Pasadena, Texas, as the “Jim Fonteno Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2961 (106th): International Patient Act of 2000
- H.R. 576 (106th): To amend title 4, United States Code, to add the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday to the list of days on which the flag should especially be ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bentsen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Finance and Financial Sector (14%) Health (14%) Social Welfare (11%) Labor and Employment (8%) Housing and Community Development (8%) Commerce (7%)
Some of Bentsen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5696 (107th): Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Funding Reform Act of 2002
- H.R. 5656 (107th): SCHIP Allotment Extension Availability Act of 2002
- H.R. 4717 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 3769 (107th): Insider Trading Full Disclosure Act of 2002
- H.R. 3670 (107th): Trade Adjustment Assistance for Workers, Farmers, Fishermen, Communities, and Firms Act of ...
- H.R. 3623 (107th): Employee Savings Protection Act of 2002
- H.R. 3509 (107th): Retirement Account Protection Act of 2001
From Jan 1995 to Nov 2002, Bentsen missed 75 of 4,737 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is better than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: