Read our 2016 Report Card for Calvert.
Our unique analysis of the bills Calvert has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Calvert is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ken Calvert sits on the following committees:
Calvert was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5984 (114th): Pechanga Band of Luiseno Mission Indians Water Rights Settlement Act
- H.R. 2822 (114th): Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016
- H.R. 330 (113th): Distinguished Flying Cross National Memorial Act
- H.R. 988 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5757 Tilton Avenue in Riverside, California, as the “Lieutenant Todd Jason Bryant Post Office”.
- H.R. 2828 (108th): Water Supply, Reliability, and Environmental Improvement Act
- H.R. 1892 (107th): Family Sponsor Immigration Act of 2002
- H.R. 2924 (107th): To provide authority to the Federal Power Marketing Administrations to reduce vandalism and destruction of property, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Calvert sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (32%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Immigration (8%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Law (5%)
Some of Calvert’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1070: Employee Bonus Protection Act
- H.R. 925: To amend title 38, United States Code, to clarify the eligibility for monthly ...
- H.R. 816: FACT Act
- H.R. 638: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 24930 ...
- H.R. 603: Ensuring the Safety of Our Mail Act of 2017
- H.R. 602: To direct the United States Postal Service to designate a single, unique ZIP ...
- H.R. 514: HELD Act
|Calvert’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 985: Concrete Masonry Products Research, Education, and Promotion Act of 2015
Nov 14, 2016. Passed 355/38.
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 266/167.
This vote turned this bill into the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, by replacing the text of the bill in whole. H.R. 1314 was previously the Trade Act of 2015.
H.R. 719: Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016
Sep 30, 2015. Passed 277/151.
This was a vote to agree to the provisions to keep the government funded through December 11, 2015 that the Senate had added in a previous vote. With this vote, the House approved the Senate's changes to the bill, with the government funding provisions, sending ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 249 (110th): To restore the prohibition on the commercial sale and slaughter of wild free-roaming horses and burros.
Apr 26, 2007. Passed 277/137.
From Jan 1993 to May 2017, Calvert missed 455 of 16,228 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 31 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: