Meek, a Democrat, was the representative for Florida's 17th congressional district from 2003 to 2010.
Meek is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Meek sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Meek was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal Service located at 140 NE 84th Street in Miami, Florida, as the “Jesse J. McCrary, ...
- H.R. 2538 (108th): To designate the United States courthouse located at 400 North Miami Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Meek sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Commerce (11%) Health (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Social Welfare (6%)
Some of Meek’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6404 (111th): Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2010
- H.R. 6053 (111th): To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 to provide for timely ...
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal ...
- H.R. 5372 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to treat any business ...
- H.R. 5222 (111th): To suspend certain activities in the outer Continental Shelf until the date ...
- H.Res. 1066 (111th): Recognizing the bravery and efforts of the United States Armed Forces, local ...
- H.R. 4467 (111th): To accelerate the income tax benefits for charitable cash contributions for the ...
|Meek’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 4314 (111th): To permit continued financing of Government operations.
Dec 16, 2009. Passed 218/214.
H.Res. 552 (111th): Providing for further consideration of the bill (H.R. 2847) making appropriations for the Departments of Commerce and ...
Jun 17, 2009. Passed 221/201.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2010, Meek missed 341 of 5,966 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: