Our unique analysis of the bills Meek sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Meek is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Meek was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal Service located at 140 NE 84th Street in Miami, Florida, as the “Jesse J. McCrary, ...
- H.R. 4467 (111th): To accelerate the income tax benefits for charitable cash contributions for the relief of victims of the January 12, 2010, earthquake in Haiti.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Meek sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Commerce (11%) Health (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Social Welfare (6%)
Some of Meek’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6404 (111th): Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2010
- H.R. 6053 (111th): To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 to provide for timely ...
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal ...
- H.R. 5372 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to treat any business ...
- H.R. 5222 (111th): To suspend certain activities in the outer Continental Shelf until the date ...
- H.Res. 1066 (111th): Recognizing the bravery and efforts of the United States Armed Forces, local ...
- H.R. 4467 (111th): To accelerate the income tax benefits for charitable cash contributions for the ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Meek’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 4314 (111th): To permit continued financing of Government operations.
Dec 16, 2009. Passed 218/214.
H.Res. 552 (111th): Providing for further consideration of the bill (H.R. 2847) making appropriations for the Departments of Commerce and ...
Jun 17, 2009. Passed 221/201.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2010, Meek missed 341 of 5,966 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: