Meek was the representative for Florida’s 17th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2003 to 2010.
Meek is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Meek sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Meek was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal Service located at 140 NE 84th Street in Miami, Florida, as the “Jesse J. McCrary, ...
- H.R. 2538 (108th): To designate the United States courthouse located at 400 North Miami Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Meek sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Commerce (11%) Health (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Social Welfare (6%)
Some of Meek’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6404 (111th): Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2010
- H.R. 6053 (111th): To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 to provide for timely ...
- H.R. 5655 (111th): To designate the Little River Branch facility of the United States Postal ...
- H.R. 5372 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to treat any business ...
- H.R. 5222 (111th): To suspend certain activities in the outer Continental Shelf until the date ...
- H.Res. 1066 (111th): Recognizing the bravery and efforts of the United States Armed Forces, local ...
- H.R. 4467 (111th): To accelerate the income tax benefits for charitable cash contributions for the ...
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2010, Meek missed 341 of 5,966 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: