Brady is the representative for Texas’s 8th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 7, 1997. Brady is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Brady.
Brady is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Brady has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Kevin Brady sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Ways and Means Ranking Member
Brady was the primary sponsor of 19 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4602 (116th): Continuation of Useful Resources to States Act
- H.R. 4514 (116th): Continuation of Useful Resources to States Act
- H.R. 4318 (115th): Miscellaneous Tariff Bill Act of 2018
- H.R. 1 (115th): An Act to provide for reconciliation pursuant to titles II and V of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2018.
- H.R. 3823 (115th): Disaster Tax Relief and Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2017
- H.R. 3178 (115th): Medicare Part B Improvement Act of 2017
- H.R. 3172 (115th): Medicare IVIG Demonstration Extension Act of 2017
Does 19 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Brady sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Brady’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3268: To prevent fraud in COVID unemployment programs, recover fraudulently paid benefits, provide relief ...
- H.R. 2675: Maximizing America’s Prosperity Act of 2021
- H.R. 2189: State Tax Freedom Act
- H.R. 2188: Reopening America by Supporting Workers and Businesses Act of 2021
- H.R. 1325: More Energy More Jobs Act of 2021
- H.R. 11 (116th): Commitment to American GROWTH Act
- H.R. 8201 (116th): Support for Workers, Families, and Social Security Act
From Jan 1997 to Jun 2021, Brady missed 770 of 15,834 roll call votes, which is 4.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: