He was previously the representative for California’s 22nd congressional district as a Republican from 2007 to 2012.
Read our 2017 Report Card for McCarthy.
McCarthy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCarthy has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
McCarthy was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1988: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1730 18th Street in Bakersfield, California, as the “Merle Haggard Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1989: VET TEC Act
- H.R. 39: TALENT Act of 2017
- H.R. 6007 (114th): To amend title 49, United States Code, to include consideration of certain impacts on commercial space launch and reentry activities in a navigable airspace analysis, and for ...
- H.R. 4685 (114th): Tule River Indian Reservation Land Trust, Health, and Economic Development Act
- H.R. 5052 (114th): OPEN Act
- H.J.Res. 76 (114th): Appointing the day for the convening of the second session of the One Hundred Fourteenth Congress.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCarthy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (41%) Emergency Management (12%) International Affairs (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%)
Some of McCarthy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7059: To fund construction of the southern border wall and to ensure compliance with ...
- H.R. 6888: Asia Reassurance Initiative Act of 2018
- H.Res. 1071: Recognizing that allowing illegal immigrants the right to vote devalues the franchise and ...
- H.R. 6735: Public-Private Cybersecurity Cooperation Act
- H.R. 6562: FORWARD Act of 2018
- H.R. 3: Spending Cuts to Expired and Unnecessary Programs Act
- H.R. 5509: Innovations in Mentoring, Training, and Apprenticeships Act
As House Majority Leader, McCarthy may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
|McCarthy’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 597: Reform Exports and Expand the American Economy Act
Oct 27, 2015. Passed 313/118.
House Democrats and a portion of the Republican House majority teamed up last week to win an important battle in the fight to bring back the Export-Import bank, a quasi-governmental agency that provides subsidies to foreign companies buying American goods. On Monday, October, 26, 2015, ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 2007 to Sep 2018, McCarthy missed 162 of 8,791 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: