Read our 2016 Report Card for McCarthy.
Our unique analysis of the bills McCarthy has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCarthy is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McCarthy was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 39: TALENT Act of 2017
- H.R. 6007 (114th): To amend title 49, United States Code, to include consideration of certain impacts on commercial space launch and reentry activities in a navigable airspace analysis, and for ...
- H.J.Res. 76 (114th): Appointing the day for the convening of the second session of the One Hundred Fourteenth Congress.
- H.R. 2262 (114th): U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act
- H.J.Res. 129 (113th): Appointing the day for the convening of the first session of the One Hundred Fourteenth Congress.
- H.R. 667 (113th): To redesignate the Dryden Flight Research Center as the Neil A. Armstrong Flight Research Center and the Western Aeronautical Test Range as the Hugh L. Dryden Aeronautical ...
- H.R. 2940 (112th): Access to Capital for Job Creators Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCarthy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of McCarthy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 385: Expressing gratitude for the heroic actions of the United States Capitol Police and ...
- H.R. 1989: VET TEC Act
- H.R. 1988: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1730 ...
- H.Res. 3: Authorizing the Speaker to appoint a committee to notify the President of the ...
- H.Res. 2: To inform the Senate that a quorum of the House has assembled and ...
- H.R. 39: TALENT Act of 2017
- H.Res. 5: Adopting rules for the One Hundred Fifteenth Congress.
As House Majority Leader, McCarthy may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
|McCarthy’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 597: Reform Exports and Expand the American Economy Act
Oct 27, 2015. Passed 313/118.
House Democrats and a portion of the Republican House majority teamed up last week to win an important battle in the fight to bring back the Export-Import bank, a quasi-governmental agency that provides subsidies to foreign companies buying American goods. On Monday, October, 26, 2015, ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2017, McCarthy missed 148 of 7,988 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 2 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: