Read our 2016 Report Card for McCarthy.
Our unique analysis of the bills McCarthy has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCarthy is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McCarthy was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6007: To amend title 49, United States Code, to include consideration of certain impacts on commercial space launch and reentry activities in a navigable airspace analysis, and for other ...
- H.J.Res. 76: Appointing the day for the convening of the second session of the One Hundred Fourteenth Congress.
- H.R. 2262 (114th): U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act
- H.J.Res. 129 (113th): Appointing the day for the convening of the first session of the One Hundred Fourteenth Congress.
- H.R. 667 (113th): To redesignate the Dryden Flight Research Center as the Neil A. Armstrong Flight Research Center and the Western Aeronautical Test Range as the Hugh L. Dryden Aeronautical ...
- H.R. 2940 (112th): Access to Capital for Job Creators Act
- H.R. 3729 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 427 North Street in Taft, California, as the “Larry S. Pierce Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
McCarthy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of McCarthy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 3: Authorizing the Speaker to appoint a committee to notify the President of the ...
- H.Res. 2: To inform the Senate that a quorum of the House has assembled and ...
- H.R. 39: TALENT Act of 2017
- H.Res. 5: Adopting rules for the One Hundred Fifteenth Congress.
- H.Res. 945: Providing for the printing of a revised edition of the Rules and Manual ...
- H.R. 6007: To amend title 49, United States Code, to include consideration of certain impacts ...
- H.Res. 842: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the terrorist attacks launched ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|McCarthy’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2017, McCarthy missed 144 of 7,725 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 2 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: