Read our 2017 Report Card for Gillibrand.
Gillibrand is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gillibrand has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Kirsten Gillibrand sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Livestock, Marketing, and Agriculture Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Commodities, Risk Management, and Trade
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Agricultural Research, and Specialty Crops
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Gillibrand was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3071 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7802 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, New York, as the “Jeanne and Jules ...
- S. 2465 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 15 Rochester Street in Bergen, New York, as the Barry G. Miller Post ...
- S. 2088 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 90 Cornell Street in Kingston, New York, at the “Staff Sergeant Robert H. ...
- S. 1424 (114th): Microbead-Free Waters Act of 2015
- S. 2056 (113th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 13127 Broadway Street in Alden, New York, as the “Sergeant Brett E. Gornewicz ...
- S. 2057 (113th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 198 Baker Street in Corning, New York, as the “Specialist Ryan P. Jayne ...
- S. 233 (113th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 815 County Road 23 in Tyrone, New York, as the “Specialist Christopher Scott ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gillibrand sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Health (16%) Education (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (14%) Agriculture and Food (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Taxation (8%) Environmental Protection (8%)
Some of Gillibrand’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2872: A bill to amend the Congressional Accountability Act of 1995 to reform the ...
- S. 2846: A bill to provide for multidisciplinary teams for military installations on child abuse ...
- S. 2832: A bill to require the collection of data by officers enforcing United States ...
- S. 2786: Main Street Employee Ownership Act of 2018
- S. 2755: Postal Banking Act
- S. 2751: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located ...
- S. 2727: PIPE Act
|Gillibrand’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1625: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018
Mar 23, 2018. Motion Agreed to 65/32.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the government spending bill for the remainder of fiscal year 2018. On March 22, 2018, the House replaced the text of the bill with the spending bill (preprint text). ---- This bill was formerly the TARGET Act. ...
H.R. 2810: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018
Sep 18, 2017. Bill Passed 89/8.
H.R. 2810 authorizes and prioritizes funding for the Department of Defense (DoD) and military activities and construction, and prescribes military personnel strengths for Fiscal Year 2018. The bill authorizes $613.8 billion in base funding, including a $28.5 billion increase above the President’s budget for essential ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
S. 2943: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017
Jun 14, 2016. Bill Passed 85/13.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.J.Res. 3 (111th): Relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 22, 2009. Passed 270/155.
H.Res. 1284 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the House amendments to the Senate amendment to the ...
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 342/83.
H.R. 2634 (110th): Jubilee Act for Responsible Lending and Expanded Debt Cancellation of 2008
Apr 16, 2008. Passed 285/132.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2009 to May 2018, Gillibrand missed 21 of 2,753 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: