Noem was the representative for South Dakota’s at-large district and was a Republican. She served from 2011 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Noem.
Noem is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Noem sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Noem was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5790: To amend title XI of the Social Security Act to provide for clinical psychologist services models to be tested by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, and ...
- H.R. 3147: AMBER Alert in Indian Country Act of 2017
- H.R. 2484: Women, Peace, and Security Act of 2017
- H.R. 350 (114th): Human Trafficking Prevention, Intervention, and Recovery Act of 2015
- H.R. 291 (113th): Black Hills Cemetery Act
- H.R. 1607 (113th): Livestock Disaster Protection Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Noem sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Noem’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7000: Tribal Tax Empowerment and Jobs Act of 2018
- H.R. 6329: Family Business Legacy Act of 2018
- H.R. 6031: PRINT Act
- H.R. 6030 (115th): Tribal School Federal Insurance Parity Act
- H.R. 5963: To delay the reimposition of the annual fee on health insurance providers until ...
- H.R. 5874 (115th): Restoring Accountability in the Indian Health Service Act of 2018
- H.R. 5790: To amend title XI of the Social Security Act to provide for clinical ...
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2018, Noem missed 302 of 5,345 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: