Read our 2019 Report Card for Sinema.
Sinema is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sinema has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 12, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Kyrsten Sinema sits on the following committees:
Sinema was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 504: Let Everyone Get Involved in Opportunities for National Service Act
- S. 1749: Protecting Affordable Mortgages for Veterans Act of 2019
- S. 1467: Sergeant Daniel Somers Network of Support Act
- H.R. 3758: Senior Safe Act of 2017
- H.R. 3100: To require the President to develop a national strategy for combating the financing of terrorism and related forms of illicit finance, and for other purposes.
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sinema sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (30%) Finance and Financial Sector (19%) Immigration (14%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Education (8%) Agriculture and Food (5%) Native Americans (5%) Taxation (5%)
Some of Sinema’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4475: A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain land ...
- S. 4341: A bill to establish a Committee on Large-Scale Carbon Management in the National ...
- S. 4308: A bill to amend the Social Security Act to include special districts in ...
- S. 4224: Southwest Border Security Technology Improvement Act of 2020
- S. 4168: A bill to require the Secretary of Health and Human Services to award ...
- S. 4166: Ensuring Survivors Benefits during COVID-19 Act of 2020
- S. 4178: A bill to provide for a credit against employment taxes for certain workplace ...
From Jan 2019 to Aug 2020, Sinema missed 31 of 585 roll call votes, which is 5.3%. This is much worse than the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: