Read our 2018 Report Card for Clay.
Clay is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Clay has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jul 12, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Lacy Clay Jr. sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Financial Services
- House Committee on Natural Resources
House Committee on Oversight and Reform
- Member, Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
Clay was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3058: Gateway Arch National Park Designation Act
- H.R. 1927: African American Civil Rights Network Act of 2017
- H.R. 2908 (114th): National Bison Legacy Act
- H.J.Res. 70 (112th): To grant the consent of Congress to an amendment to the compact between the States of Missouri and Illinois providing that bonds issued by the Bi-State Development ...
- H.R. 6400 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 111 North 6th Street in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Earl Wilson, Jr. Post Office”.
- H.R. 3072 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 9810 Halls Ferry Road in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Coach Jodie Bailey Post Office ...
- H.R. 1309 (110th): Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Clay sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (27%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Housing and Community Development (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Health (8%) Environmental Protection (8%)
Some of Clay’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3750: For the relief of Rene Alexander Garcia Maldonado.
- H.R. 3645: To amend title 13, United States Code, to provide that individuals in prison ...
- H.R. 3619: Appraisal Reform Act of 2019
- H.R. 3620: Strategy and Investment in Rural Housing Preservation Act of 2019
- H.R. 3435: Local Public Health And Safety Protection Act
- H.Res. 397: Recognizing the challenges, achievements, and significant contributions of women and minorities in the ...
- H.R. 1608: Federal Advisory Committee Act Amendments of 2019
From Jan 2001 to Jul 2019, Clay missed 811 of 12,784 roll call votes, which is 6.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: