Read our 2016 Report Card for Clay.
Our unique analysis of the bills Clay has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Clay is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Lacy Clay Jr. sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Financial Services
House Committee on Natural Resources
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- Member, Subcommittee on Government Operations
Clay was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2908 (114th): National Bison Legacy Act
- H.J.Res. 70 (112th): To grant the consent of Congress to an amendment to the compact between the States of Missouri and Illinois providing that bonds issued by the Bi-State Development ...
- H.R. 6400 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 111 North 6th Street in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Earl Wilson, Jr. Post Office”.
- H.R. 3072 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 9810 Halls Ferry Road in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Coach Jodie Bailey Post Office ...
- H.R. 1309 (110th): Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 2007
- H.R. 1556 (109th): To designate a parcel of land located on the site of the Thomas F. Eagleton United States Courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Clyde S. Cahill ...
- H.R. 4327 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7450 Natural Bridge Road in St. Louis, Missouri, as the “Vitilas ‘Veto’ Reid Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Clay sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (57%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (13%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Health (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of Clay’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1927: African American Civil Rights Network Act of 2017
- H.R. 70: Federal Advisory Committee Act Amendments of 2017
- H.R. 4100 (114th): To require the Secretary of the Army, acting through the Chief of ...
- H.R. 4099 (114th): Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Examination and Reporting Threshold Act of 2015
- H.R. 3683 (114th): African American Civil Rights Network Act of 2015
- H.R. 2908 (114th): National Bison Legacy Act
- H.R. 2473 (114th): Preserving Capital Access and Mortgage Liquidity Act of 2015
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Clay’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 2001 to Apr 2017, Clay missed 738 of 11,320 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: