Kissell was the representative for North Carolina’s 8th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2009 to 2012.
Kissell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kissell sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Kissell was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kissell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (35%) Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Health (9%) Taxation (9%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%) Education (6%) Energy (6%)
Some of Kissell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 818 (112th): Expressing support for designating January 8th as Elvis Presley Day.
- H.R. 6466 (112th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to exempt certain ...
- H.Res. 645 (112th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Teacher Day.
- H.R. 5327 (112th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on preparations based on ethanediamide, ...
- H.R. 5146 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on Chromate(4-), [7-amino-3-[(3-chloro-2-hydroxy-5-nitrophenyl)azo]-4-hydroxy -2-naphthalenesulfonato(3-)][6-amino-4-hydroxy-3-[(2-hydroxy 5 -nitro-3-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonato(4-)]-, tetraso
- H.R. 5149 (112th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on Pigment Brown 25.
- H.R. 5153 (112th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on 1-Acetyl-4-(3-dodecyl-2, 5-dioxo-1-pyrrolidinyl)-2,2,6,6-tetramethylpiperidine.
|Kissell’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 117 (112th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2013
Sep 13, 2012. Passed 329/91.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 4628 (112th): Interest Rate Reduction Act
Apr 27, 2012. Passed 215/195.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
From Jan 2009 to Jan 2013, Kissell missed 50 of 3,261 roll call votes, which is 1.5%. This is better than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: