Smith was the representative for Florida’s 16th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1983 to 1992.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1987 to Oct 9, 1992. See full analysis methodology.
Smith was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 181 (102nd): Designating the third Sunday of August 1991, as “National Senior Citizens Day”.
- H.J.Res. 610 (101st): Designating October 1990 as “Ending Hunger Month”.
- H.J.Res. 591 (101st): Designating the third Sunday of August of 1990 as “National Senior Citizens Day”.
- H.R. 2134 (101st): To amend the Federal Meat Inspection Act to authorize the distribution of wholesome meat for human consumption that has been condemned under that Act to charity and ...
- H.J.Res. 225 (101st): To authorize and request the President to issue annually a proclamation designating the third Sunday of August of 1989 as “National Senior Citizens Day”.
- H.J.Res. 341 (101st): Designating November 1989 as “An End to Hunger Education Month”.
- H.J.Res. 224 (101st): To designate the week beginning October 29, 1989, as “Gaucher’s Disease Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3634 (102nd): To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to authorize the registration of ...
- H.J.Res. 321 (102nd): Designating October 1991 as “Ending Hunger Month”.
- H.R. 2486 (102nd): Ground Transportation Consumer Protection Act of 1991
- H.R. 2357 (102nd): To amend title 28, United States Code, relating to jurisdictional immunities of ...
- H.R. 2184 (102nd): To amend title 28, United States Code, to allow for jury trials ...
- H.R. 2017 (102nd): Federal Sunshine in Litigation Act of 1990
- H.R. 1770 (102nd): Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1989
From Jan 1983 to Oct 1992, Smith missed 369 of 4,571 roll call votes, which is 8.1%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills