Our unique analysis of the bills Panetta sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Panetta is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Panetta was the primary sponsor of 19 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4016 (102nd): Community Environmental Response Facilitation Act
- H.J.Res. 201 (102nd): Designating the week beginning December 1, 1991, and the week beginning November 15, 1992, each as “Geography Awareness Week”.
- H.J.Res. 175 (102nd): To designate the weeks beginning December 1, 1991, and November 29, 1992, as “National Home Care Week”.
- H.R. 5835 (101st): Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990
- H.J.Res. 512 (101st): Designating November 11 through 17, 1990, as “Geography Awareness Week”.
- H.R. 3299 (101st): Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1989
- H.J.Res. 142 (101st): To designate the period commencing November 12, 1989, and ending November 18, 1989, as “Geography Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Panetta sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (18%) Taxation (16%) Environmental Protection (14%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Social Welfare (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (8%)
Some of Panetta’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 533 (103rd): To provide for the transfer of a parcel of land at Fort ...
- H.R. 530 (103rd): To condition the closure of a military medical facility in the United ...
- H.R. 534 (103rd): To provide that a special census shall be conducted, without charge to ...
- H.R. 532 (103rd): Federal Foreign Language Institute Consolidation Act
- H.R. 531 (103rd): To provide for the conveyance of real property at Fort Ord, California, ...
- H.R. 529 (103rd): Mickey Leland Childhood Hunger Relief Act
- H.R. 473 (103rd): Philippine Scout Retirement Pay Equity Act
From Jan 1977 to Jan 1993, Panetta missed 264 of 8,206 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is on par with the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 1993. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills