Our unique analysis of the bills Panetta sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Panetta is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Panetta was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4016 (102nd): Community Environmental Response Facilitation Act
- H.J.Res. 201 (102nd): Designating the week beginning December 1, 1991, and the week beginning November 15, 1992, each as “Geography Awareness Week”.
- H.J.Res. 175 (102nd): To designate the weeks beginning December 1, 1991, and November 29, 1992, as “National Home Care Week”.
- H.R. 5835 (101st): Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990
- H.R. 3299 (101st): Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1989
- H.R. 4998 (100th): A bill to amend the Food Stamp Act of 1977 to make technical corrections in the Family Independence Demonstration Project.
- H.R. 1340 (100th): Commodity Distribution Reform Act and WIC Amendments of 1987
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Panetta sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (18%) Taxation (16%) Environmental Protection (14%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Social Welfare (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Economics and Public Finance (8%)
Some of Panetta’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 533 (103rd): To provide for the transfer of a parcel of land at Fort ...
- H.R. 530 (103rd): To condition the closure of a military medical facility in the United ...
- H.R. 534 (103rd): To provide that a special census shall be conducted, without charge to ...
- H.R. 532 (103rd): Federal Foreign Language Institute Consolidation Act
- H.R. 531 (103rd): To provide for the conveyance of real property at Fort Ord, California, ...
- H.R. 529 (103rd): Mickey Leland Childhood Hunger Relief Act
- H.R. 473 (103rd): Philippine Scout Retirement Pay Equity Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1977 to Jan 1993, Panetta missed 264 of 8,206 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is on par with the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 1993. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills