Boswell was the representative for Iowa’s 3rd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2012.
Boswell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Boswell sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Boswell was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3386 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1165 2nd Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa, as the “Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Memorial Post ...
- H.R. 1045 (110th): To designate the Federal building located at 210 Walnut Street in Des Moines, Iowa, as the “Neal Smith Federal Building”.
- H.R. 327 (110th): Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Boswell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (18%) Health (18%) Taxation (16%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Education (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Energy (10%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Boswell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 782 (112th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Suicide Prevention and Awareness Month.
- H.R. 5836 (112th): Veterans and Service Members Educational Benefits Safety Act
- H.R. 5834 (112th): National Education for Service Heritage Act
- H.R. 5835 (112th): Veterans Access to Capital Act of 2012
- H.R. 4869 (112th): Armed Forces Breast Cancer Research Act of 2012
- H.R. 4313 (112th): To amend the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 to require ...
- H.Con.Res. 103 (112th): Expressing the sense of Congress that the effective Federal tax rate paid ...
|Boswell’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013
Dec 20, 2012. Passed 315/107.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 2642 (110th): Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 268/155.
H.R. 5349 (110th): To extend the Protect America Act of 2007 for 21 days.
Feb 13, 2008. Failed 191/229.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 249 (110th): To restore the prohibition on the commercial sale and slaughter of wild free-roaming horses and burros.
Apr 26, 2007. Passed 277/137.
From Jan 1997 to Jan 2013, Boswell missed 360 of 10,969 roll call votes, which is 3.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: