Sullivan was the representative for Missouri’s 3rd congressional district as a Democrat. She served from 1953 to 1976.
Sullivan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sullivan sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 1, 1976. See full analysis methodology.
Sullivan was the primary sponsor of 49 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 12939 (94th): An Act to amend certain laws affecting personnel of the Coast Guard, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 13326 (94th): A bill to extend until November 1, 1983, the existing exemption of the steamboat Delta Queen from certain vessel laws.
- H.R. 1073 (94th): An Act to extend the provisions of title XII of the Merchant Marine Act, 1936, relating to war risk insurance, for an additional three years, ending September ...
- H.R. 13218 (94th): An Act to permit the steamship United States to be used as a floating hotel, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 11407 (94th): A bill to amend title 14, United States Code, to authorize the admission of additional foreign nationals to the Coast Guard Academy.
- H.R. 11481 (94th): An Act to authorize appropriations for the fiscal year 1977 for certain maritime programs of the Department of Commerce, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 11670 (94th): An Act to authorize appropriations for the Coast Guard for the procurement of vessels and aircraft and construction of shore and offshore establishments, to authorize for the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sullivan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (32%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (14%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) International Affairs (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Environmental Protection (7%) Economics and Public Finance (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%)
Some of Sullivan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 15503 (94th): A bill to amend section 2632 of title 10, United States Code, ...
- H.R. 15318 (94th): A bill to authorize the construction of a replacement lock and dam ...
- H.R. 14862 (94th): Comprehensive Oil Pollution Liability and Compensation Act
- H.R. 14753 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.Con.Res. 678 (94th): A resolution authorizing and directing the Clerk of the House of Representatives ...
- H.R. 14731 (94th): A bill to amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 to ...
- H.R. 14583 (94th): A bill to permit the operation in the coastwise trade by a ...
From Jan 1953 to Oct 1976, Sullivan missed 734 of 5,455 roll call votes, which is 13.5%. This is worse than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills