Payne was the representative for Virginia’s 5th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1987 to 1996.
Payne is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Payne sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Payne sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Payne’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2283 (104th): To prohibit the regulation of the sale or use of tobacco or ...
- H.R. 960 (104th): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 5070 (103rd): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 3106 (103rd): To amend the Thomas Jefferson Commemoration Commission Act to extend the deadlines ...
- H.R. 2759 (103rd): Equity Expansion Act of 1993
- H.R. 2436 (103rd): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to include services ...
- H.R. 2384 (103rd): To extend until January 1, 1997, the previously existing suspension of duty ...
From Jun 1988 to Sep 1996, Payne missed 81 of 4,565 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is better than the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills