Rep. Lewis Payne Jr.
Former Representative from Virginia's 5th District
|Dates||Title / State / District|
Virginia's 5th District
See Also: Bioguide
Payne was a centrist Democrat according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship from Payne’s time serving in the House of Representatives. Payne’s bills had a total of 23 cosponsors in the 104th Congress.
Use this chart to compare Payne to other members of the House of Representatives in the 104th Congress on leadership and ideology.
This chart is based on principal components analysis for ideology and PageRank for leadership. See analysis methodology.
Some of Payne’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2283 (104th): To prohibit the regulation of the sale or use of tobacco or ...
- H.R. 960 (104th): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 5070 (103rd): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 3106 (103rd): To amend the Thomas Jefferson Commemoration Commission Act to extend the deadlines ...
- H.R. 2759 (103rd): Equity Expansion Act of 1993
- H.R. 2436 (103rd): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to include services ...
- H.R. 2383 (103rd): To extend until January 1, 1997, the previously existing suspension of duty ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jun 1988 to Sep 1996, Payne missed 81 of 4,565 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is better than the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills