Our unique analysis of the bills Payne sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Payne is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Payne sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Payne’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2283 (104th): To prohibit the regulation of the sale or use of tobacco or ...
- H.R. 960 (104th): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 5070 (103rd): Persons With Disabilities Trusts Tax Rate Restoration Act
- H.R. 3106 (103rd): To amend the Thomas Jefferson Commemoration Commission Act to extend the deadlines ...
- H.R. 2759 (103rd): Equity Expansion Act of 1993
- H.R. 2436 (103rd): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to include services ...
- H.R. 2383 (103rd): To extend until January 1, 1997, the previously existing suspension of duty ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jun 1988 to Sep 1996, Payne missed 81 of 4,565 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is better than the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills