Diaz-Balart was the representative for Florida’s 21st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2010.
Diaz-Balart is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Diaz-Balart sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Diaz-Balart was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3041 (105th): To make technical corrections to the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act.
- H.J.Res. 90 (105th): Waiving certain enrollment requirements with respect to two specified bills of the One Hundred Fifth Congress.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Diaz-Balart sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (22%) International Affairs (22%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Health (9%) Immigration (9%) Families (6%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (6%) Private Legislation (6%)
Some of Diaz-Balart’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1303 (111th): Recognizing the special relationship and historic ties between the United Kingdom and ...
- H.R. 3175 (111th): To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to convey to Miami-Dade County certain ...
- H.R. 974 (111th): For the relief of Alejandro Gomez and Juan Sebastian Gomez.
- H.R. 319 (111th): Legal Immigrant Children’s Health Improvement Act of 2009
- H.R. 5627 (110th): To award the congressional gold medal to Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet, in ...
- H.R. 3231 (110th): For the relief of Alejandro Gomez and Juan Sebastian Gomez.
- H.R. 1308 (110th): Legal Immigrant Children’s Health Improvement Act of 2007
|Diaz-Balart’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2010, Diaz-Balart missed 515 of 11,825 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: