Our unique analysis of the bills Smith sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1998. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Smith is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Smith sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (35%) Commerce (13%) Law (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Water Resources Development (7%) Taxation (7%)
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4548 (105th): To make a technical correction to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic ...
- H.R. 4220 (105th): Veterans Benefits Restoration Act of 1998
- H.R. 3987 (105th): Deer and Elk Protection Act
- H.R. 3861 (105th): Home Owners Military Equity Act of 1998
- H.R. 3543 (105th): To amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit a ...
- H.R. 3299 (105th): Family Genetic Privacy and Protection Act
- H.R. 3019 (105th): Anti-Money Laundering and Paycheck Accountability Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1995 to Dec 1998, Smith missed 91 of 2,527 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills