Van Deerlin was the representative for California’s 42nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1975 to 1980.
He was previously the representative for California’s 41st congressional district as a Democrat from 1973 to 1974; and the representative for California’s 37th congressional district as a Democrat from 1963 to 1972.
Van Deerlin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Van Deerlin sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Van Deerlin was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2533 (96th): An Act for the relief of Mrs. Kerry Ann Wilson.
- H.R. 12605 (95th): Public Telecommunications Financing Act
- H.R. 4535 (95th): A bill for the relief of Kazuko Nishioka Dowd.
- H.R. 5106 (93rd): For the relief of Flora Datiles Tabayo.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Van Deerlin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (26%) Private Legislation (24%) Science, Technology, Communications (14%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Labor and Employment (8%) Environmental Protection (6%) Economics and Public Finance (6%) Agriculture and Food (4%)
Some of Van Deerlin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6471 (96th): A bill for the relief of James Daniel Bronson.
- H.R. 6121 (96th): Telecommunications Act of 1979
- H.R. 6103 (96th): A bill to amend the Communications Act of 1934 to provide that ...
- H.R. 5941 (96th): Domestic and International Telegraph Act of 1979
- H.R. 5403 (96th): A bill entitled “Southwest Coast Corridor Service”.
- H.R. 3662 (96th): A bill to grant a Federal Charter to the Navy Wives Clubs ...
- H.R. 3551 (96th): A bill for the relief of Edwin Mendez Yorobe and Barbara Magat ...
From Jan 1963 to Dec 1980, Van Deerlin missed 881 of 7,362 roll call votes, which is 12.0%. This is worse than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills