Murkowski is the senior senator from Alaska and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 7, 2003. Murkowski is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Murkowski.
Murkowski is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murkowski has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Apr 12, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Lisa Murkowski sits on the following committees:
Murkowski was the primary sponsor of 31 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 227 (116th): Savanna’s Act
- S. 2580 (116th): Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2020
- S. 47 (116th): John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act
- S. 133 (116th): Merchant Mariners of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2019
- S. 825 (115th): Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium Land Transfer Act of 2017
- S. 3673 (115th): Department of Energy Quantum Information Science Research Act
- S. 2503 (115th): Department of Energy Research and Innovation Act
Does 31 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murkowski sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Murkowski’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 125: A resolution recognizing the heritage, culture, and contributions of American Indian, Alaska Native, ...
- S. 776: A bill for the relief of Rebecca Trimble.
- S. 593: Alaska Tourism Recovery Act
- S. 549: A bill to provide for the conveyance of certain property to the Tanana ...
- S. 548: Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Land Transfer Act of 2021
- S. 550: Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium Land Transfer Act of 2021
- S. 464: Safe Step Act
From Jan 2003 to Apr 2021, Murkowski missed 277 of 5,783 roll call votes, which is 4.8%. This is much worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: