Murkowski is the senior senator from Alaska and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 7, 2003. Murkowski is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Murkowski.
Murkowski is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murkowski has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Aug 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Lisa Murkowski sits on the following committees:
Murkowski was the primary sponsor of 35 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 593: Alaska Tourism Restoration Act
- S. 227 (116th): Savanna’s Act
- S. 2786 (116th): Arctic Shipping Federal Advisory Committee Act
- S. 2799 (116th): NEWS Act of 2019
- S. 2580 (116th): Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2020
- S. 1857 (116th): Federal Energy and Water Management Performance Act of 2019
- S. 47 (116th): John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act
Does 35 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murkowski sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Murkowski’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2524: A bill to amend the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act to exclude certain ...
- S. 2523: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the ...
- S. 2522: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to treat certain ...
- S. 2364: Bree’s Law
- S. 2238: FASD Respect Act
- S. 2136: Human Trafficking and Exploitation Prevention Training Act of 2021
- S. 1951: Alaska Native Vietnam Veteran Land Allotment Fulfillment Act of 2021
From Jan 2003 to Aug 2021, Murkowski missed 285 of 5,933 roll call votes, which is 4.8%. This is much worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: