Murkowski is the senior senator from Alaska and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 7, 2003. Murkowski is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Murkowski.
Murkowski is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murkowski has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Aug 7, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Lisa Murkowski sits on the following committees:
Murkowski was the primary sponsor of 38 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 325: A bill to amend the Alyce Spotted Bear and Walter Soboleff Commission on Native Children Act to extend the deadline for a report by the Alyce Spotted Bear …
- S. 2364: Bree’s Law
- S. 593: Alaska Tourism Restoration Act
- S. 1400: Protecting Resources On The Electric grid with Cybersecurity Technology Act of 2021
- S. 1352: A bill to improve the quality and timeliness of Federal permitting and review processes with respect to critical mineral production on Federal land, and for other purposes.
- S. 227 (116th): Savanna’s Act
- S. 2786 (116th): Arctic Shipping Federal Advisory Committee Act
Does 38 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murkowski sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Murkowski recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 4736: Arctic Commitment Act
- S. 4531: A bill to codify certain public land orders relating to the revocation of …
- S. 4375: Don Young Arctic Warrior Act
- S. 4358: Bruce’s Law
- S.Res. 584: A resolution congratulating Miss Emma Broyles of Alaska for being crowned Miss America …
- S.Res. 565: A resolution honoring and celebrating the life and legacy of Representative Don Young.
- S.Res. 555: A resolution recognizing the heritage, culture, and contributions of American Indian, Alaska Native, …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2003 to Aug 2022, Murkowski missed 329 of 6,489 roll call votes, which is 5.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: