Our unique analysis of the bills Bentsen sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1994. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bentsen is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Bentsen was the primary sponsor of 47 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1181 (102nd): A bill for the relief of Christy Carl Hallien of Arlington, Texas.
- S. 2122 (102nd): Tax Extension Act of 1991
- S. 2042 (102nd): Tax Extension Act of 1991
- S. 1881 (102nd): A bill to amend the Tariff Act of 1930 to provide appropriate procedures for the appointment of the Chairman of the United States International Trade Commission.
- S.J.Res. 78 (102nd): A joint resolution to designate the month of November 1991 and 1992 as “National Hospice Month”.
- S.J.Res. 134 (102nd): A joint resolution designating May 22, 1991, as National Desert Storm Reservists Day”.
- S. 251 (102nd): An original bill to extend the time for performing certain acts under the internal revenue laws for individuals performing services as part of the Desert Shield operation.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bentsen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (21%) Health (20%) Taxation (14%) Social Welfare (12%) Environmental Protection (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Education (8%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Bentsen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3274 (102nd): Medicare and Medicaid Amendments Act of 1992
- S. 3230 (102nd): Treasury Forfeiture Fund Act of 1992
- S. 3122 (102nd): Gulf of Mexico Commission Act of 1992
- S. 3120 (102nd): Medicaid Technical Corrections and Clarification Act of 1992
- S. 3078 (102nd): Biomedical Research in Space Act of 1992
- S. 3054 (102nd): A bill to provide temporary duty-free treatment for certain digital processing units.
- S. 3041 (102nd): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to establish ...
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills