Our unique analysis of the bills Bentsen sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1994. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bentsen is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Bentsen was the primary sponsor of 22 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1181 (102nd): A bill for the relief of Christy Carl Hallien of Arlington, Texas.
- S.J.Res. 78 (102nd): A joint resolution to designate the month of November 1991 and 1992 as “National Hospice Month”.
- S.J.Res. 134 (102nd): A joint resolution designating May 22, 1991, as National Desert Storm Reservists Day”.
- S. 1164 (101st): An original bill to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 1990 for the Office of the United States Trade Representative, the United States International Trade Commission, and the ...
- S.J.Res. 78 (101st): A joint resolution to designate the month of November 1989 and 1990 as “National Hospice Month”.
- S. 1652 (100th): A bill to authorize the establishment by the Secretary of Agriculture of plant stress and water conservation research laboratory and program at Lubbock, Texas.
- S. 1146 (98th): Aviation Drug-Trafficking Control Act
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Bentsen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (21%) Health (20%) Taxation (14%) Social Welfare (12%) Environmental Protection (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Education (8%) Private Legislation (7%)
Some of Bentsen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3274 (102nd): Medicare and Medicaid Amendments Act of 1992
- S. 3230 (102nd): Treasury Forfeiture Fund Act of 1992
- S. 3122 (102nd): Gulf of Mexico Commission Act of 1992
- S. 3120 (102nd): Medicaid Technical Corrections and Clarification Act of 1992
- S. 3078 (102nd): Biomedical Research in Space Act of 1992
- S. 3054 (102nd): A bill to provide temporary duty-free treatment for certain digital processing units.
- S. 3041 (102nd): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to establish ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills