Read our 2016 Report Card for Barletta.
Our unique analysis of the bills Barletta has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Barletta is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Lou Barletta sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Chair, Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Member, Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials
- House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- House Committee on Homeland Security
Barletta was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2658 (114th): Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act
- H.R. 1191 (114th): Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015
- H.R. 1472 (114th): Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Modernization Act of 2015
- H.R. 33 (114th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to ensure that emergency services volunteers are not taken into account as employees under the shared responsibility requirements contained ...
- H.R. 3979 (113th): Carl Levin and Howard P. “Buck” McKeon National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
- H.R. 2415 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 11 Dock Street in Pittston, Pennsylvania, as the “Trooper Joshua D. Miller Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Barletta sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Immigration (28%) Emergency Management (20%) Taxation (15%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Agriculture and Food (5%) Animals (5%)
Some of Barletta’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3006: School Food Modernization Act
- H.R. 2581: Verify First Act
- H.R. 2548: FEMA Reauthorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 2443: Department of Homeland Security Classified Facility Inventory Act
- H.R. 1991: Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act
- H.R. 1671: Verify First Act
- H.Con.Res. 35: Authorizing the use of the Capitol Grounds for the National Peace Officers Memorial ...
|Barletta’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 33: Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act
Feb 27, 2015. Passed 357/60.
This bill was the vehicle for the passage of continuing appropriations. This bill started out as the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act. It was passed by the House in this form. But on Feb 27, 2015 the Senate struck its text in whole ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 152 (113th): Disaster Relief Appropriations Act, 2013
Jan 15, 2013. Passed 241/180.
H.R. 6429 (112th): STEM Jobs Act of 2012
Nov 30, 2012. Passed 245/139.
H.R. 2608 (112th): Continuing Appropriations Act, 2012
Sep 21, 2011. Failed 195/230.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2011 to Jul 2017, Barletta missed 162 of 4,573 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 59 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: