Our unique analysis of the bills Weicker sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Weicker is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Weicker was the primary sponsor of 20 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2846 (100th): A bill to provide for the awarding of grants for the purchase of drugs used in the treatment of AIDS.
- S.J.Res. 328 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the day of September 14, 1988, as “National Medical Research Day”.
- S.J.Res. 142 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the day of October 1, 1987, as “National Medical Research Day”.
- S. 1167 (100th): Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge
- S. 2914 (99th): A bill to extend through fiscal year 1988 SBA Pilot Programs under section 8 of the Small Business Act.
- S. 2048 (99th): R.M.S. Titanic Maritime Memorial Act of 1986
- S. 2294 (99th): Education of the Handicapped Amendments of 1986
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Weicker sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Economics and Public Finance (18%) Health (15%) Commerce (15%) Education (11%) Labor and Employment (7%) Environmental Protection (7%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Weicker’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2846 (100th): A bill to provide for the awarding of grants for the purchase ...
- S. 2518 (100th): Construction Safety and Health Improvement Act of 1988
- S.J.Res. 328 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the day of September 14, 1988, as ...
- S. 2345 (100th): Americans with Disabilities Act of 1988
- S.J.Res. 275 (100th): A joint resolution to designate August 1-8, 1988, as “National Harness Horse ...
- S.J.Res. 269 (100th): To designate the week beginning October 30, 1988, as “National Marine Technology ...
- S. 2086 (100th): A bill to establish a trust fund using civil penalties collected under ...
From Feb 1971 to Oct 1988, Weicker missed 1,092 of 8,781 roll call votes, which is 12.4%. This is much worse than the median of 5.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills