Read our 2016 Report Card for Gutiérrez.
Our unique analysis of the bills Gutiérrez has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Gutiérrez is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Luis Gutiérrez sits on the following committees:
Gutiérrez was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 355 (111th): For the relief of Francisca Lino.
- H.R. 6894 (110th): Defense Production Act Extension and Reauthorization of 2008
- H.R. 5478 (110th): To provide for the continued minting and issuance of certain $1 coins in 2008.
- H.R. 925 (108th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1859 South Ashland Avenue in Chicago, Illinois, as the “Cesar Chavez Post Office”.
- H.R. 4831 (106th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2339 North California Street in Chicago, Illinois, as the “Roberto Clemente Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gutiérrez sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Gutiérrez’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3591: American Hope Act of 2017
- H.R. 2690: Agricultural Worker Program Act of 2017
- H.R. 1527: For the relief of Simeon Simeonov, Stela Simeonova, Stoyan Simeonov, and Vania Simeonova.
- H.R. 1435: Exchange Inclusion for a Healthy America Act of 2017
- H.R. 900: To recognize Puerto Rico’s sovereign nationhood under either independence or free association and ...
- H.Res. 476 (114th): Supporting the establishment of a national Children’s Bill of Rights.
- H.R. 3659 (114th): Exchange Inclusion for a Healthy America Act of 2015
|Gutiérrez’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 99: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2017, and for other purposes.
Apr 28, 2017. Passed 382/30.
This bill extended federal government funding through May 5, 2017. It was enacted on the day funding was to end. The federal government is currently funded through "continuing appropriations" legislation that maintains government spending levels as they were for arbitrary periods of time. Traditionally, though ...
H.Res. 546: Providing for consideration of the conference report to accompany the bill (H.R. 22) to authorize funds for Federal-aid ...
Dec 3, 2015. Passed 384/40.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
From Jan 1993 to Sep 2017, Gutiérrez missed 2,059 of 16,478 roll call votes, which is 12.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 436 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: