Messer was the representative for Indiana’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2013 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Messer.
Messer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Messer sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Messer was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 3372 (115th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to provide for the restoration of entitlement to educational assistance and other relief for veterans affected by school closure or …
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Messer sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (25%) Education (19%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Health (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Labor and Employment (5%)
Some of Messer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6917 (115th): REMOVE Act
- H.R. 5886 (115th): Illicit Art and Antiquities Trafficking Prevention Act
- H.R. 5435 (115th): Funding Americans First Act
- H.R. 5403 (115th): SWAMP Act
- H.R. 5268 (115th): Safe Schools Act
- H.Res. 712 (115th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Senate should …
- H.R. 4862 (115th): Enhancing Educational Opportunities for Home School Students Act
From Jan 2013 to Dec 2018, Messer missed 154 of 3,739 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: