Jenkins was the representative for Kansas’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. She served from 2009 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Jenkins.
Jenkins is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Jenkins sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jenkins was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3331: To amend title XI of the Social Security Act to promote testing of incentive payments for behavioral health providers for adoption and use of certified electronic health record ...
- H.R. 4188 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 621 Kansas Avenue in Atchison, Kansas, as the “Amelia Earhart Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3447: FACTS Act of 2017
- H.R. 3332: Bob Dole Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 1877 (114th): Mental Health First Aid Act of 2016
- H.R. 2878 (114th): To provide for the extension of the enforcement instruction on supervision requirements for outpatient therapeutic services in critical access and small rural hospitals through 2015.
- H.R. 4067 (113th): To provide for the extension of the enforcement instruction on supervision requirements for outpatient therapeutic services in critical access and small rural hospitals through 2014.
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jenkins sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Jenkins’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7323: Independent and Community Bank Shareholders Protection Act
- H.R. 7227: Taxpayer First Act of 2018
- H.R. 7034: Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas Water Rights Settlement Agreement Act
- H.R. 6199: Restoring Access to Medication and Modernizing Health Savings Accounts Act of 2018
- H.R. 5678: REMC Act of 2018
- H.R. 5444: Taxpayer First Act
- H.R. 5010: For the relief of Syed Ahmed Jamal and Zaynaub Jahan Chowdhury.
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2018, Jenkins missed 181 of 7,000 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: